Saturday, December 06, 2008
Holy crap...
...we had a baby.
So, I get a call at work Friday, that begins with my eight + month pregnant wife saying, and I quote, "Don't freak, I'm at the hospital."
After I get done freaking, I find out that she's being held for observation, since she's experiencing something that falls into one of two categories:
Key questions - weight? 5 pounds, 4 ounces. Small, but OK. By clearing midnight, the baby made it into week 35, and has been certified healthy by all competent medical personnel. Length is 19 inches.
Gender? To the surprise of everyone, including me, we have a son. A beautiful, healthy, wonderful baby boy.
And, oh yes, is the baby named after Dawn Summers? Let's look at it this way - Dawn Summers chose as her blog pseudonym the name of a character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The name going on the baby's birth certificate is Alexander, but we will be calling him Xander, which is also the name of a character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so if you wanted to, you could argue that in spirit, kind of, the baby is named after Dawn Summers.
You could also note that Alexander is the baby's father's middle name, but why get caught up in semantics on this joyous day?
To recap - we have a baby. And in an opinion at least as objective as CNN's election coverage, not just any baby, but the best baby ever.
Without any further adieu - I give you Alexander Sterling Crosby, born December 6, 2008.
Holy crap. We had a baby.
So, I get a call at work Friday, that begins with my eight + month pregnant wife saying, and I quote, "Don't freak, I'm at the hospital."
After I get done freaking, I find out that she's being held for observation, since she's experiencing something that falls into one of two categories:
1. Labor.Around 10:00 last night, it is concluded that she is in fact in labor, and we are in fact having a baby. Shortly thereafter, (1:20 a.m. to be precise), the baby debuts to much applause, albeit some weeks ahead of schedule. (Which, if my wife were running for Vice President as a Republican, would be enough reason to Andrew Sullivan to wonder who the baby's real mother is, but this is a day of joy and such things can wait.) Kind of amusing now to recall my boss telling me that it had been decided that it would be best for the office if the baby was born between Christmas and New Year's.
2. Something else.
Key questions - weight? 5 pounds, 4 ounces. Small, but OK. By clearing midnight, the baby made it into week 35, and has been certified healthy by all competent medical personnel. Length is 19 inches.
Gender? To the surprise of everyone, including me, we have a son. A beautiful, healthy, wonderful baby boy.
And, oh yes, is the baby named after Dawn Summers? Let's look at it this way - Dawn Summers chose as her blog pseudonym the name of a character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The name going on the baby's birth certificate is Alexander, but we will be calling him Xander, which is also the name of a character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so if you wanted to, you could argue that in spirit, kind of, the baby is named after Dawn Summers.
You could also note that Alexander is the baby's father's middle name, but why get caught up in semantics on this joyous day?
To recap - we have a baby. And in an opinion at least as objective as CNN's election coverage, not just any baby, but the best baby ever.
Without any further adieu - I give you Alexander Sterling Crosby, born December 6, 2008.
Holy crap. We had a baby.