<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 19, 2008

But don't worry - I'll keep all the other promises I made... 

If nominated, Barack Obama promised to accept public financing (and all the restrictions that went with it) if his Republican opponent did.

John McCain is accepting public financing.

Barack Obama will not be using public funding. But hey, at least he was honest about why, right? He said something like - "Look, I think I'm going to be able to raise a boatload more money than John McCain, which would make that whole "level playing field" idea contemplated by the public financing system kind of stupid, from my end."

Well, he either said that or some weasel comment about how the evil Republicans made him do it.

Still, this isn't really that big a deal. Candidates who think they have a fundraising advantage have pressed the hell out of it for years now. And since Obama is running for President claiming to be the a better kind of the same politicians we've always had, instead of anything transcendant or nation-altering, this really isn't any kind of deviation from his original message.

I mean, if his big motivating force was some kind of change-oriented thing, that'd be different. But it's not, so there you go.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com