Friday, February 02, 2007
Yeah, that's pretty much how it happened with me, too...
In a small island off the coast of Guinea-Bissau, all responsibility for courtship falls upon the woman:
On the other hand, if I remember correctly, it was Britney who made the first move on K-Fed.
In this archipelago of 50 islands off the western rim of Africa, it's women, not men, who choose. They make their proposals public by offering their grooms-to-be a dish of distinctively prepared fish, marinated in red palm oil. Once they have asked, men are powerless to say no.According to residents of the island, this system works better, because if it were up to men, they would make stupid decisions:
"The choice of a woman is much more stable," explains Okrane. "Rarely were there divorces before. Now, with men choosing, divorce has become common."There's something to be said for that. My wife was definitely the one who made the first move. (If you ask her about it, she'll say she made the first move, and the second, and the third, and the...you know what? Don't ask her about it, and if she starts to tell the story, stop her.) Nonetheless, her idea of who I should date worked out substantially better than the dumbass ideas I had been having.
On the other hand, if I remember correctly, it was Britney who made the first move on K-Fed.