<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, February 05, 2007

Back to the drawing board... 

Apparently Warner Brothers is still having trouble figuring out a way to make money off a Wonder Woman movie. Joss Whedon is now out, as WB apparently had no use for the script he was writing. Whedon himself isn't complaining, being very understanding of WB's concerns, given the expected cost of the movie.
Let me stress first that everybody at the studio and Silver Pictures were cool and professional. We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work. Non-sympatico. It happens all the time. I don't think any of us expected it to this time, but it did. Everybody knows how long I was taking, what a struggle that script was, and though I felt good about what I was coming up with, it was never gonna be a simple slam-dunk. I like to think it rolled around the rim a little bit, but others may have differing views.
One of the problems Whedon had mentioned in the past is the lack of any real framework around which to craft a Wonder Woman story. Unlike Superman or Batman, she really doesn't have a famous origin story that people remember. She lacks the classic villains of Batman or Spiderman (nobody cares about the Cheetah), and she was never the subject of any great comic book story like, say "The Coming of Galactus," which you'll be able to see turned into crap this summer during the Fantastic 4 sequel. So while Wonder Woman is an icon, there really isn't any great source material to build on, unless you want to go back to her creator's idea, which was to use her to spread the gospel of S & M and thereby save the world. (You think I'm kidding?)

So, still no Wonder Woman movie. Meanwhile, Ghost Rider opens everywhere next week.

Tell me that's justice.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com